Tuesday, February 23, 2010

"Back in the Game, Back in the Fray!"

by Jason Kappus, Ensemble, Legally Blonde The Musical



Week 3 - Denver, CO

First of all - Denver's cool! (Figuratively and literally - the first snow I've seen all winter - finally!) Neat city, good vibe, but the altitude does some pretty funny things to people. I was lucky in that I got a week of hanging out in the city rehearsing before having to actually do the show, so I had more time to acclimate. But with less oxygen around, there are definitely some extra challenges to singing, dancing, jumping rope, and sleeping.

That said, the show goes on, and the Denver audiences LOVE it - I watched it a few more times here and people have so much fun at this show. It's nice to see first hand the effect this show has on people. It makes it very exciting to start.

Oh, and did I mention that my first performance will also be the first performance of Michael Rupert as Callahan? If the name doesn't ring a bell, Michael, who won a Tony in the revival of Sweet Charity, originated the role of Professor Callahan on Broadway. So, while he and I are the "new guys," he's a step or two ahead of me. Ha!

I continued rehearsals in Denver, and started to get a little anxious to go on. And I thought I might go in early for a while, as the cast was dealing with a little round of injuries. In fact, I don't think there was one show the first week in Denver that had the same configuration of cast members. Keeps things interesting!

Alas, didn't get to go on early - but now I only had two days to wait!

No comments: